Sunday, June 5, 2011

patience is a virtue

I just wanted to write a bit about my recovery and how I've been feeling. This has truly been a learning experience for me, though like everything else that's hard, I know I'm becoming a stronger person because of it all.

The most difficult thing about post-op has been the fact that I have clear cut limitations that will remain until I'm six weeks out. Regardless of how I feel, I can't bend, twist, or lift. That's rough - do you know how many things in the world weigh more than five pounds? I generally do things really fast and I try to be as efficient as possible. This surgery has made me slow down and take my time, which I suppose isn't a horrible thing. And maybe I'll have a more toned butt after all of this because I'm doing a lot of squatting.

I'm calling my doctor tomorrow because I'm hoping to get an appointment sooner than the current one I have scheduled at the end of June. I know I can't push myself here, but prior to the surgery, he mentioned going back to work part-time four weeks after my surgery date - I'm optimistic that with how I'm feeling, that could happen.

I was terrified before this surgery. It made me want to throw up. It basically was my worst fear come to life. I'm proud of myself...this was a big decision for me and I'm so glad I went through with it.

Today I told Mike, "You know, I don't think my back hurts," which sounds like an odd thing to say because God KNOWS I'm sore as hell. But I actually don't think the pain I've had every single day for so long is there - and that is an amazing thing.

2 comments:

  1. I would be going insane if I had to sit still!!! I know how u feel. Glad to hear that your back is healing well :)

    ReplyDelete