Sunday, March 23, 2014

a few words on keto

I love eating a ketogenic diet.  I feel healthier, more rested, less achy...just, better.
  • I sleep waaaay better.  I am a horrible sleeper and I always have been.  At my worst, I was sleeping between 5-6 hours a night and would wake up at least 20 times a night (for real).  Now, I sleep 7-8 hours, wake up between 5-10 times, and feel rested in the morning.
  • I'm less achy.  My dogs go outside via the basement door - so within a minute of waking up, I'm walking downstairs to let them out.  Right before I started keto, my knees were so sore that the trek downstairs was difficult.  I'm 28, so that's just not cool.  I don't really have joint pain anymore, and my back pain is way less.
  • My mind is less of a disaster.  If you know me, you know that I'm constantly forgetting something.  My brain just seems to work better since I've started keto.  I'm less scatterbrained (I said LESS) and studying for exams is so much easier.
  • I've lost 30 pounds.  I think that one speaks for itself.
Having said all of those beautiful things, I'm clearly so not an expert.  I also suck at explaining things.  If you'd like to learn more about keto and how to get started, read this, and then read it again:

http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq

As far as specifics on how I eat, I try to stay around 20g of carbs a day, and most of my carbs come from vegetables.  I also eat between 1200-1400 calories a day, which is made possible thanks to my personal daily ratio of 72% fat, 23% protein, 5% carbs.  I keep track of all of this with MyFitnessPal, which also has an iPhone app (add me: anistarz).  I'm not a nutritionist, but I've done my own research.  Do yours, too, if this interests you!

My shopping list typically includes:
  • lots and lots of eggs
  • heavy cream
  • unsweetened coconut milk (I like Silk)
  • cottage cheese (not all that low carb, but still a good snack)
  • cream cheese
  • cheese of every kind, nationality, shape, size, color...yeah, cheese.
  • pepperoni, salami, prosciutto, etc., mmmm.
  • low carb wraps (I like Don Pancho brand)
  • bacon
  • sausage
  • canned tuna
  • chicken thighs, breasts, legs
  • beef roasts, steaks, ground 
  • fish
  • nuts (just be careful of carb counts, always double check!)
  • peanut butter
  • salsa (once again, check labels! Xochitl is great)
  • almond flour 
  • butter
  • coconut oil
  • super dark chocolate (80% cocoa and up!)
  • produce including: spinach, kale, broccoli, asparagus, Brussels sprouts, celery, snow peas, raspberries

2 comments:

  1. ...but what do you eat the salsa with!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My breakfast is normally ground sausage, eggs, cheese, salsa and sour cream. Mmmm. But also, you can bake the low carb tortillas (I drizzle a little olive oil and sprinkle salt) until they get crispy and use them as chips!

      Delete