Thursday, March 27, 2014

chocolate & peanut butter addiction

You guys, I am completely addicted to the combination of chocolate and peanut butter.  But really, who isn't?! They're made for each other. It's like...the Lucy and Ricky of food.

My original plan was to make some kind of keto-friendly buckeye. A decadent peanut butter ball covered in chocolate. So pretty much, heaven.

A few months ago, I was melting chocolate to use in a recipe, and when I added sugar free Torani syrup, the chocolate seized. Stupidly, I didn't make the connection that it was the sugar free syrup that caused the issue, until I did the same thing yesterday when attempting this recipe and it happened again. I had used the rest of my Baker's chocolate, so I needed to come up with a plan B!

I rolled the peanut butter balls in Hershey's Special Dark cocoa, ending up with super duper tasty peanut butter truffles!  These aren't crazy low carb (about 3g per truffle), but they're a nice treat.

Peanut Butter Truffles
(Makes about 20 truffles)

1 cup all natural peanut butter (check your carb counts!)
1 cup almond flour
1/2 cup Splenda (or equivalent sweetener)
2 tablespoons dark cocoa powder

Couldn't be easier: mix the peanut butter, almond flour, and Splenda in a medium sized mixing bowl.  It'll eventually turn into a texture similar to cookie dough.  Roll peanut butter mixture into 1-inch balls and set them on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.  Put the cocoa powder in a small bowl, and individually drop each peanut butter ball into the cocoa, making sure it's evenly coated.  I put mine back on the cookie sheet and chilled them for a few hours, then transferred them to a plastic container for storage in the fridge.

While I do think I'll try these again with chocolate, I was definitely not disappointed by how these turned out!

The facts (for one truffle): Calories: 102, fat: 8.1g, net carbs: 3.2g, protein: 3.6g

No comments:

Post a Comment