What we've been eating this weekend:
- pizza with pesto, tomatoes, ricotta and feta
- actually not terrible for you lemon bars (66 calories a square!)
- pasta with fresh veggies & grilled chicken, tossed with pesto
Lemon Bars (from here)
1/4 cup confectioners’ (powdered) sugar
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
scant 3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons freshly grated lemon zest
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
additional confectioners’ sugar, for dusting
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and lightly spray the bottom of an 8 inch square baking pan with nonstick spray.
2. Beat the 1/4 cup of confectioners’ sugar and butter on medium speed until creamy. Gradually add the 1/2 cup of pastry flour and mix on low speed until the mixture is crumbly. Press the mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan and bake until just golden brown (about 10 to 12 minutes). Cool on a wire rack and lower the oven temperature to 325 degrees.
3. While the oven temperature reduces, whisk the eggs on medium speed until foamy. Add the granulated sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, 3 tablespoons of all purpose flour, baking powder and salt and whisk until combined. Pour the mixture over the baked crust and return to the oven until “set” (about 20 to 25 minutes – do not touch the filling with your fingers or it will stick to them and you will have a big dent in your bars!) Cool completely on a wire rack, then cut into 12 squares and dust with confectioners’ sugar.
Anyway, we had a good weekend, and it went way too fast. Friends visited yesterday/overnight and we went to First Watch for brunch (pretty much the best place ever). Today we looked at a house for sale - though we decided it was just too far from our offices & our hometown/family. It was on four acres, though, which would be great! It was just exciting to officially start our search for a home. We're both so anxious...and so are our puppies :)